Friday, April 3, 2020

WEEK 10 Lab: Advice to Writers

Source: Advice to Writers by Jon Winokur

I always like reading Jon's tweets. I feel like they're helpful and constructive. It's nice to have little reminders about different writing styles and pieces of advice throughout the day. I've been to the website for a lab before and I just read interviews, but this time, I'd like to just read a few quotes and come to my own conclusions from the collective advice.

It's been a crazy few weeks and I've wanted to do more writings for class, but it's... there hasn't been any time. It's easier to do a few readings and be done with it, but I feel out of practice with writing now. It's not great, but it's something. I like Mary Karr's advice on characters a lot. Loving them and understanding their past is so important. I don't like having to plot out their past as much as their future plans, but it's necessary to understand how this person came to be. It's difficult, at least for me, to plot super in depth pasts for characters because I never really deal with that, but it's definitely crucial.

Nora Ephron's Advice is also very good. Making people care about what you're doing feels like an uphill battle sometimes. It feels like its easier to just do something that you know will be successful instead of taking risks, but ultimately, why would anyone care about it if you don't? I've definitely read some things lately that were not as... I don't know, not as unique. Make people care!!!

I feel like there were other pieces I also liked, but those were the ones that stuck out the most to me. I've been spending a lot of time reading and reflecting on old material that I've read/watched and what made it stand out and that advice feels applicable here. Making something long lasting and worthwhile, you have to find a way to connect to the audience and to do that you need to have the characters be well-developed. Putting your heart into something can make people care about it. Passion is important in a project.

A pretty fountain pen (Wikimedia Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes: Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm B

Source: The Three Spinsters  from  Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm  translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane ...