Friday, February 14, 2020

WEEK 5 Story: Other Half


Isis stood alone, head towards the heavens, arms outstretched. Tears fell from her eyes freely. The darkness she was faced with and the stillness of the night sky only seemed to mock her cries. She was normally one to wear a brave face in the midst of disorder, but this feeling transcended anything she had felt in her life. Though she was no stranger to despair or grief, she had never expected to lose her beloved, her Osiris, to an usurper no less. There were many emotions and thoughts spiraling around in her mind, but most of all, she wanted to see him again. That was all. Pain can be that simple. She wept for him, but she also wept for her own heart as well.
            The details surrounding her husband’s death were burned into her memory. Though she hadn’t been there, she may as well have been. She almost wished that she hadn't been told everything. Being nailed into a coffin and left to rot in the sea was a particularly gruesome way to pass. He needed her now more than ever. Isis knew that she needed to reach in and bring out some of the strength that was left in the reserves of her soul.
            She wiped away her tears with the backs of her palms and exhaled deeply through her nose, hoping to regain some composure. She had other worries stirring within as well. What was going to happen to her now that Set had taken the throne? She wasn’t safe here and needed to leave. It was time to do something.
            Isis, despite all of the uncertainty surrounding her at the moment, was consumed with the desire to do one thing. She walked back inside to her empty chamber. It was normally filled with doting and adoring servants. She had sent them away, refusing the joy of company. Isis took a strand of hair into her hand and cut a chunk of it out with the nearest sharp object that she could find. She whispered secret words, a vow to Osiris, that only she knew. Isis held the piece of hair close to her chest, tightly. It was time to start looking for the other half of her heart.


Source:  The Death of Osiris from Egyptian Myth & Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie

Author's Note: This week, I chose to read the section of Egypt. I was particularly taken with Osiris and Isis and found their journey to be sad/interesting. In the source, it details Osiris returning home from his journey to a celebration. The evil bad Set shows up with a coffin the size of Osiris and basically throws a contest to see who can fit the ""box"" and they'll get to keep it. Obviously it's a huge trap and when Osiris gets into it, the lid is shut and nailed and he's sent to the sea to die. Isis, his wife, takes this horribly. That's the section I chose to rewrite. There's a line in there that's like "she refused to be comforted" or something and I loved that. I felt very bad for her and wanted to expand on her grief and mourning. Isis then sets out on her own journey to look for Osiris, which is where mine ends. I just think she's neat and wanted to give her some love.

Osiris, Horus, and Isis (Wikimedia Commons)




5 comments:

  1. Hi Ryeli,
    I'm really glad that you decided to write about the story of Isis and Osiris! Theirs is one of my favorites from ancient mythology and I really like the story that you told of Isis immediately after the death of her husband. Your writing really portrayed the grief and sorrow of Isis and your characterization of Isis as a strong woman, a fighter, was really great to read about. Especially since it is Isis who goes in search of her husband (and not vice versa). Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ryeli! The opening paragraph of this story is just fantastic! I love the details and the picture that you have painted with your words. When I originally read the line "Being nailed into a coffin and left to rot in the sea..." I thought it said "nailed to a coffin" so I had this vision of Osiris nailed to the top of a coffin that's floating out in the middle of the ocean. I realized my mistake after reading your Author's Note and going back to the beginning of the story. Still, I like that image. Is that weird?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ryeli! I really liked this story and loved the details you put into it! I could feel what she was going through and I loved how it came together!I also loved the image you picked! It fits well nicely! I can't wait to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ryeli

    I like the imagery you incorporated into this story. It was subtle, but it amped up the emotional intensity, and I'm all here for it. I just wish I knew what Isis looked like! (I'm one of those people, 3rd person makes me crave description.) But I absolutely love this, even without that. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ryeli! I could really sympathize with Isis here, and you did a great job of expressing her emotions to the reader. It is especially sad to see her refusing company and self-isolating, as company can often help in trying times. However, the ending was really reassuring, showing Isis' regained determination to make things right and find her lost lover.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Notes: Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm B

Source: The Three Spinsters  from  Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm  translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane ...