Friday, April 3, 2020

Extra Credit Reading Notes: Nursery Rhymes A

Source: Charms & Lullabies from The Nursery Rhyme Book by Andrew Lang

Quarantine is super fun because I totally forget what day of the week it is and also that I am still in school! There's a lot of sarcasm there. The days blend together as I try to balance moving out and also having enough time to finish everything. I'm definitely behind on readings, but thankful fort he grave period being extended! I thought it would be fun to do an extra reading that was simple and didn't require much from me.

I've always enjoyed nursery rhymes. I had a huge book of them growing up, though not this exact one. We've all heard these classic riddles at some point in time. I'm not sure how to talk about these exactly, but I will say how interesting it was to see them in an original form. As language evolves, so do the stories. That's my main fascination with folktales and whatnot. It's fun to see how they originally were said as opposed to the version I grew up with. For a quick example, Rock-a-bye Baby. They aren't big changes, but different still!

I liked the one about hiccups. I thought that it was fun. There were a few I hadn't heard of before like "Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John." I didn't completely understand the point of some of them, though maybe they're very clear and I'm just very tired. Who knows!

I like the simplicity of each rhyme. It's easy to see why children like these rhymes and even adults. They're fun! I like how they have a unique background as well. The one about cows was said to be a divination children would say. It's fun to think about! There's a lot of inspiration to pull from these. I feel like I've always seen adaptations of these that used the source as a rough outline and the actual story would go completely elsewhere. You really have the power to write whatever story with these as a source.

An illustration by Beatrix Potter from Apply Dapply's Nursery Rhymes (Wikimedia Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes: Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm B

Source: The Three Spinsters  from  Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm  translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane ...