Wednesday, January 22, 2020

WEEK 2- Reading Notes: Anthology

The Three Roses by Josef Baudis

A family consisting of a mother and three daughters, two of which are seen to be quite greedy and materialistic. This is important because the mother is going to a marketplace in the next town over or something and she asks each of the daughters what she should bring back for them. The two mentioned ask for so many things and the remaining one asks for three roses. She really doesn't want anything, but asks for those anyway. The mother got lost after attending the marketplace and found a palace with a garden of beautiful roses. She took a rose or a few, and was then met with a BEAST (basilisk) who demanded marriage to her daughter in exchange for the roses, which doesn't seem like a fair trade. She... does it though. I don't know, she has to nurse him or something when she gets there and the daughter doesn't really care about any of this because the palace is nice? The basilisk brings her a sword on the third day and asks her to cut off his head. She does it with some protest and then again when the... serpent's body emerges? Anyway, he turns into a prince, they marry. Okay.

This one was my favorite, but I have a few... thoughts. I think it's so funny that the girl is sort of just... okay with everything happening to her. I don't think any normal person would be fine with this bizarre situation. It might be funny to write her as kind of emotionless? At least that was the impression I got from her. Maybe make the other characters out to be even more dramatic than what was seen here... Maybe.

I really enjoy fairy tales! I was nervous that it was just going to end with the basilisk, you know, dying, but it kept going. I think it's SUPER weird that this young woman was seen as an equitable trade for the, uh, roses? Were they really nice roses? Did they give special powers? What Was The Point? I love that so much, I'm not kidding. Couldn't the mom just like left and not gotten the daughter at all? I doubt the basilisk knew where she lived. Maybe it would figure it out? I don't know. I'm dunking on it, but I did like it, I promise.

Only one rose this time, not three (Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes: Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm B

Source: The Three Spinsters  from  Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm  translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane ...