Tuesday, January 14, 2020

WEEK 1- Storybook Favorites

Tragically Ever After

The title alone was enough to draw me into reading this storybook. I think it does a great job of telling the reader what to expect from the stories published. The topic itself is one that I'm fairly familiar with. I've always seen fairytales from both a light and dark perspective, so a darker approach isn't entirely new for me, but I always love seeing the spin others do on them! The writing style is beautiful. My favorite one was the one about Cinderella. I do like the love at first sight thing, but I agree it can be silly. Looking at its consequences and realizing that you don't truly know someone off a look alone was a nice touch and callout for the original work.

Queen of the Underworld

I like Persephone a lot and figured from the title that it might have an inkling to do with her. The way the story is written is very fun and easy to follow. I like that we get to know so many of Persephone's personal thoughts outside of the regular point of view that it's written in. I was surprised to read a story about Orpheus and Eurydice here. I think their story is so... sad. I think it's beautifully sad though. I always want him to make it out, but he never quite makes it there, poor boy. I like how it focused on Hades and Persephone's relationship. It did a great job of showing off Persephone!

Alexa, How Do I Get to Canterbury

I thought the title was funny, so I clicked it. I know a little bit about Canterbury Tales, but not much, so I was excited to find out more! I like the layout of the website. The images chosen feel very warm and homely to me. I think trains in general make me feel this way, but I digress. I like that the stories are written sort of in a verse(?) format. I really don't know what the appropriate work for this format is, but its enjoyable. I appreciate that the author took the time to rhyme and tried to stick to Chaucer's original themes. It shows a lot of dedication.

I've taken the Indian Epics course, so I sort of already know what to expect in terms of how to structure my storybook/portfolio, but I'm excited to see what I'll end up with in this myth-folklore!

Royal Storybook (Good Free Photos)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes: Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm B

Source: The Three Spinsters  from  Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm  translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane ...