Sunday, January 26, 2020

Topic Brainstorm

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight translated by Jessie Weston

I like the original story and thought it might be fun to retell this one in a MUCH abridged setting. I think that it offers a lot of grounds for interesting storytelling and Gawain as a narrator sounds fun. I haven't quite figured out how I would break this up or if it would even be possible, but I like Gawain and thought it would be fun to do a thing on him. I could just choose him as a spotlight and do other stories, though I know this is one of the more notable ones for him, so I'm not sure! I haven't read the piece in its entirety, but I do know the gist of it. I find the concept of chivalry vs. his own expectations to be quite interesting and could be framed in a way that's relatable to the readers. I think the only thing I don't like about this is that I have no idea what thing I could add to it to make it more than just a retelling, though it might be fine as is. 

Ballads of Robin Hood By James Francis Child

My entire thought process for this was: Oh, Robin Hood is an outlaw... outlaws were in the wild west... Robin Hood but set in the west and he's a cowboy. I thought it would be fun to set this in a different setting and change the titles of characters to make it fit the time period/setting. Theres' a lot of room to set it up in many different ways which I like. I thought about framing it like an old movie script or in an old saloon and people are trading stories about the legends of Robin Hood. I don't have any prior knowledge outside of the Disney movie. I find his whole thing about robbing from the rich to give to the poor to be excellent. 

The Epic of Gilgamesh from Myths and Legends of Babylonia and Assyria by Lewis Spence

There was a section in here about his descent into tyranny that I liked a lot. When you think of heroes, especially one as famous as Gilgamesh, you don't really think about their bad behavior or what they did later in life, or at least I don't. I tend to think about the key moments, but it's all important to the story as a whole. I like the Epic of Gilgamesh on its own, I don't think he's a great person (I don't think any of these characters are,) but it's fun to talk about. They're famous for a reason. I like the idea of picking out a few key stories from the tablets and telling them in a modern setting.

Women Saints
The Golden Legend Edited by F.S. Ellis
I only listed the Saint Martha story because I would definitely want to talk about her. I think hers is my favorite out of these women, but they all have cool stories! I think the focus here would be women doing cool things, but phrased much better than I did just now. I wanted to just do it on Saint Martha, though I'm not sure how I could stretch that out at all. The concept of this woman slaying a dragon is so good. I'm interested in women of the bible and women of history and myth in general, so there's a lot I could do with this. Maybe the women are telling their stories online, something along those lines.

Saint Martha and the Tarasque (Wikimedia Commons)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes: Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm B

Source: The Three Spinsters  from  Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm  translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane ...