Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Reading Notes: Voragine's Golden Legend A

Voragine's Golden Legend, vols. 1-7, edited by F.S. Ellis

I really liked the story of Saint Pelagien. I think what happened is terrible, but I think it's good that she was able to stay true to her beliefs and vows until the very end. Marriage was often forced upon women in the past and I can see how she felt pressured into running away. She made it clear that her chastity vows were important to her, but marriage would ruin that. Disguising herself as a man, I don't find to be entirely dishonest. If that's what she had to do in order to practice her beliefs, it's whatever. The fact that Pelagien was falsely accused because they worked closely with women was very interesting and ironic, obviously Pelagien couldn't have done it. I found the story to be entertaining for its dramatic nature and that it was easier to understand. Some of these have been more difficult to make out contextually, but this one was a nice change.

Saint Marine's story was just as interesting to me as Pelagien's because of the similar concepts. I really admire how both of them refused to admit their secret. I wonder if it was to protect themselves or the woman who was accusing them. Either way, it felt caring in different ways that I can't quite articulate. Marine was very patient and loving, at least the story felt that way to me.

I would probably want to write a story the most about Pelagien, though Marine was cool too. I'm not sure what I could add. I feel like all of these Saints were incredibly brave and honorable. I'm surprised I hadn't heard about them before. I believe that we should be talking more about women in myth, the bible, etc. I'm excited for tomorrow's reading. This is nice research for my project, though I haven't conclusively decided on a topic just yet!

Marine, joining the monastery (Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes: Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm B

Source: The Three Spinsters  from  Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm  translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane ...