Friday, March 20, 2020

Reading Notes: Myths and Legends of the Great Plains B

Source: Why the Possum Plays Dead from Myths and Legends of the Great Plains by Katharine B. Judson

I honestly chose this section because I love possums. I think they're just the coolest little scavengers. They're both creepy and cute. What a good combination. Anyway, I like the stories centered around animals the most. I feel like they're easier to retell because there is more room to play with. I feel like with the creation myths and such I wouldn't want to mess with something already done so well! There's always room for more animal stories!

Rabbit and Possum are trying to get wives but alas, they are loveless. Rabbit then hatches up a scheme to get themselves hitched. They say that they must move to the next town and Rabbit will claim to be from the Council and that everyone has to marry someone once. They figure someone must choose them by that logic.

Rabbit got to the next town first because rabbits are faster than possums? I don't know if they're much faster, but that's okay. I don't know enough on this to say for sure. Anyway, Rabbit spreads the news and gets a wife before Possum can even get there. Poor fellow. Rabbit is a damn awful friend and traveled to the next town over and told them things that were bad. Specifically, that there had been so much peace, that now there must be war. Possum didn't know this.

Rabbit got away and Possum got there, confused. All the other animals started attacking this man trying to find a wife, so he just rolled over and played dead. It's a good strategy. Man, that Rabbit was a jerk. What was the motivation? Cause problems on purpose? Like, why? I would definitely want to change the ending. I don't feel like there was enough justification for why Rabbit acted the way that he did. I liked the story though. I think that it's fun to explain behaviors or things in nature with stories!

A possum, just chilling (Wikimedia Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes: Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm B

Source: The Three Spinsters  from  Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm  translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane ...