Sunday, February 2, 2020

Extra Credit Reading Notes: Child's Robin Hood A

The English and Scottish Popular Ballads, Robin Hood, by James Francis Child

The portrayal of Robin Hood in the ballads was interesting to read about. I don't know much more about him outside of the famous animated movie, but I can see how they would want to avoid portraying THIS image of Robin Hood. Here, he's sort of defiant, though cunning. I would say his defiance makes him seem less heroic from the first section. I found that the ballads were kind of difficult to read at times as I'm not sure if that was the intended format to be consuming this material. I found myself confused at times, but I liked them!

I liked the section where he met Little John. I enjoyed the descriptions of them as someone who was a bit... seedy. Maybe not the best person. It sets up interesting characters. The way that John Little and Robin argue about the bow and being able to land a hit was pretty funny. Feisty characters. The dialogue about Robin being a coward was funny and entertaining. They bounce well off of each other. Everything about the energy that they bring is lively and mischievous. I like it a bunch. I think it compares well to the image that I have of both of them from the animated movie.

Their dialogue and dynamic are what I find the most interesting. You need the main character entertaining and interesting, but also a little bit relatable. I think that they both offered a good mix of that. I liked the bit about being dressed in green and how Little John was not so little. I feel like that section would be fun to retell and maybe add more to their meeting. I mean, I'm not entirely sure I didn't misunderstand it, but it was fun nonetheless!

Not quite the version that I read! (Wikimedia Commons)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes: Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm B

Source: The Three Spinsters  from  Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm  translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane ...