Saturday, February 1, 2020

Feedback Strategies

Preschoolers and Praise by Deborah Farmer Kris

I don't know much about children or how they learn, so this was interesting to read about. I had never thought about how generic praise could be stunting progress in children, or with anyone really. Giving instruction is clear and offers key benefits. They're learning through simple ways of teaching! I also liked "the power of yet." I think that this is important for anyone to understand. While we may not be able to do things now, there's always still the future to master it! I can't do it... yet! There's always room for growth and improvement. It helps people become less defeating and think towards the future and their own progress.

The Trouble with "Amazing" by Jennifer Gonzalez

I liked the first reason a lot. When you tell someone too often that they're amazing, it feels less meaningful when you're actually aiming to improve. There's no feedback in being told how good you are constantly and while that's nice and meaningful as well, you just can't improve on that alone. The American Idol analogy was useful in explaining this. Unspecific critique is also unhelpful. My biggest complaint about feedback is that a lot of it isn't specific enough for me to know what to change, so I won't do it. I don't like feedback for the sake of giving feedback. I like knowing exactly what went wrong and how I can work towards improving it. This article was helpful in determining areas that I can be better with my feedback as well!

Knowing that there is ALWAYS room for improvement is good as a creator. I find that feedback is useful because I want to make things that others enjoy. If no one is being honest about what could be improved upon, it's hard to do that. I want to work on being more helpful with my feedback by being more specific and helping guide the person I am giving feedback to. I also want to do better at applying it as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes: Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm B

Source: The Three Spinsters  from  Household Stories of the Brother's Grimm  translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane ...